Annons:
Tagborder-collie
Read 4788 times
Niklas
2017-03-31 07:32

Why do dogs pee on lampposts?

It seems that dogs prefer to pee on lampposts instead of on flat ground. Is that right? Why do they favor lampposts?

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
Missantissan
2017-03-31 15:46

I don't really know to be honest. But, from looking around i found: 

"Dogs use their pee to communicate. Post lamps and such are easier for them to locate and they simply use it as a board to state who they are and when they were there."

With lots of love Missan and the pets 
Host of Border Collie

Niklas
2017-03-31 20:36

Ha, thank you!

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Missantissan
2017-03-31 20:52

:D

With lots of love Missan and the pets 
Host of Border Collie

Niklas
2022-02-07 14:49

There seems to be a lot of people interested in why dogs pee on lampposts. This discussion has been read almost 5000 times in nearly five years. 😃

I think I may have found the answer. Apparently, dogs prefer peeing where the scent is likely to stay the longest. Vertical surfaces keep the smell longer than horizontal. Lampposts are likely to remain longer than grass or bushes.

While looking for an answer to the question, I found this bit of related information:

"Call it small dog syndrome. It seems when smaller dogs urinate on objects on their walks they might be using this opportunity to deceive, by aiming higher to give the impression that their mark was made by a much bigger animal.

When male dogs spray urine, they are “scent marking”: laying down an odour-based message to other dogs that communicates health, sex, and age. In this way, scent marking is considered an “honest signal,” relaying accurate information to potential competitors and mates about the animal’s attributes."

» Small dogs urinate higher up lamp posts to make themselves seem bigger | New Scientist

That may be another part of the answer. Lampposts are taller than any dog. Therefore they are able to get their pee higher up than on many other objects, or the ground. Peeing on the ground would make all dogs look equally tall/short.

🙂

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

It seems when smaller dogs urinate on objects they might be using this opportunity to deceive, by making it look like their mark was left by a bigger dog
Scroll to top
Annons: